The concept of lazy loading ads is relatively simple. When someone first goes to your website, only the advertisements that are in the first screen view are loaded.
As soon as you start scrolling the page, the rest of the ads start to load based on an offset you define.
Let’s learn how to lazy load ads in WordPress
Table of Contents
Why Lazy Load ads?
With the help of Lazy loading, you can improve the speed of your WordPress site and your earnings.
According to Google:
Lazy loading enables pages to load faster, reduces resource consumption and contention, and improves viewability rate by pausing the requesting and rendering of ads until they approach the user’s viewport.Lazy loading – Google Publisher Tag
The viewability rate is the percentage of ad impressions that count as being viewed.
A viewed impression is described as being at least 50% on screen for one second
Advertisers have a strong interest in bidding more on viewable inventory because it improves their return on ad spend.
How to Lazy Load Ads
There are many ways to lazy loads but if you don’t want to spend a lot of time dealing with it, AdInserter Pro is probably your best choice.
What I like about AdInserter Pro is that you can lazy load specific ad units.
Lazy loading only the ad units that you want is helpful since you don’t want to lazy load ads above the fold.
If you lazy load ads, you can add more ad units below the fold and these won’t affect the ad viewability of your site.
That’s what Mediavine does, publishers add a bunch of ads below the fold and if you scroll down to the end, you will see them.
If a visitor didn’t feel like reading the whole article or he already found what he was looking for, the rest of the ads won’t be shown.
Lazy Loading vs Delaying Script Execution
If you want to improve your site speed, you can do this by lazy loading or delaying the AdSense script.
If you want to delay the AdSense script, there are several plugins that can help you do that.
- Flying Scripts is a free plugin created by WP Speed Matters that can solve your ad-related site speed issues.
- If you care about speed, Perfmatters is your best option, you can defer, delay scripts and so much more.
- FlyingPress is a caching plugin created by WP Speed Matters which has the option to delay scripts.
- WP Rocket is a popular caching plugin that also added the option to delay the AdSense script
Keep in mind delaying the execution of scripts is not lazy loading. Delaying the Adsense script won’t improve your ad viewability.
If you add 40 ad units to your website, these will start to load all at once as soon as there is user interaction and that will affect your earnings in the long run.
This Plugin doesn’t Lazy Load Ads
This is an example of a plugin that claims to lazy load ads but it only delays ads.
The creator of the plugin knows this is not lazy loading and explains what the plugin actually does:
If there is no user activity, we will delay the AdSense script for 5 seconds. If the script detects the user scrolling or any mouse activity, the script will be placed immediately.What does the Lazy Load AdSense Plugin actually do?
The creator of the plugin knows that, now you know it too.
LazyHTML: Scripts to Lazy Load Ads
If you feel comfortable modifying and adding code to your site, you can give the Lazy HTML script a try
I haven’t used the LazyHTML script to Lazy load ads since the script size is like 10KB.
Lazy Loading Adsense Ads: Test
I think that you should lazy loads if you have many units below the fold.
I have lazy loaded ads for a long time and these are some of the numbers from 5 In-Content Units on Mobile and Desktop
These are my results without lazy loading ads
Lazy Loading my ad units got me 18% more viewability on mobile and 10% more ad viewability on Desktop.
So I think lazy loading ads is something you should start doing now
Lazy Loading Ads: AdInserter
These are some things to keep in mind before implementing your lazy loading strategy with Ad Inserter Pro
- You can control the ad units you want to lazy load.
- You can create ad units for different devices and you can choose to lazy load the ads shown on mobile.
- The data indicates that your lazy loading strategy should focus on mobile devices
- You can define the offset so it is up to you how aggressively you want to lazy load ads.
- Lazy loading usually leads to a decrease in impressions.
- Remember that there are three bid types, you can check your Adsense Panel and figure out what is making you more money and base your strategy on the data.
- Finally, you can test, test again and test one more.
- If you don’t want to dive into a sea a data, consider using an Ad Network such as Ezoic, Mediavine, Ad Thrive, Optad360, Ad.Plus Etc
More about Speed and Monetization
You should lazy load ads if you have several units below the fold.
These are some posts that you might be interested in